Simple Past Tense: The Simple Past tense refers to the action or event that has already occurred or has taken place in the past. It refers to the activity that has already happened. it can also be defined as the form of the verb which expresses the action or state of action happened in the past. Simple Past Tense is also called as Past Indefinite tense.
Definition of Simple Past Tense
According to the Cambridge Dictionary ‘Simple Past Tense’ is defined as “the form of a verb tense that is used to describe an action that happened in the past and is no longer happening. It is usually made by adding -ed.”
The Collins Dictionary defines Simple Past Tense, as “ The tense referring to past action”.
According to Macmillan Dictionary Simple Past Tense is defined as “the tense used to talk about habitual actions, behavior, events or situations that happened or existed in past".
Structure of Simple Past Tense
|Structure of Simple/Indefinite Past Tense|
|Type||Formula & Rule||Examples|
|Simple Past Tense||Subject + Verb + ed / verb in the past tense + the rest of the sentence||Neetu went to the supermarket yesterday.|
Examples of Simple Past Tense
- Nupur went to the supermarket yesterday.
- Satya cooked a tasty dinner yesterday.
- My sister saw a movie yesterday.
- Last month I travelled to France.
- I washed the dishes.
- My sister bought a dress for me.
Tense Chart of Simple Past Tense In Hindi
Tense are use to indicate the time and action. Simple/Indefinite Past tense is used to indicate the action or events which has occurred in the past. Below is the table showing the structure simple past tense in Hindi.
आ, ई, ये, ‘या था’, ‘ता था’ , ती, थे, ते थे
Subject+ Verb(V2)+ Object
Structure of Sentences in Simple Past Tense
Simple/Indefinite Past Tense is the verb tense that is used state the action or events which has occurred in the past. Simple Past Tense sentences can be in three forms, that is, Positive or Affirmative, Negative, Interrogative sentences. Below is the structure of all three forms and examples to make you understand better.
|Structure of Sentences in Simple Past Tense|
|Affirmative/Positive Sentence||Negative Sentence||Positive Sentence|
|Subject+ Verb(2nd form)+rest of the sentence||Subject+ did not+ Verb(1st form)+ rest of the sentence||Did + Subject+ Verb(1st form)+ rest of the sentence?|
Uses of Simple Past Tense
Some of the uses of Simple Past Tense are-
- The Simple Past is used to indicate an action completed in the past. It often occurs with the adverbs or adverb phrases of past time.
- Sometimes this tense is used without an adverb of time. in such cases the time may be either implies or indicated by the context.
- The Simple Past is also used for past action.
Examples of Uses of Simple Past Tense
1. The Simple Past is used to indicate an action completed in the past. It often occurs with the adverbs or adverb phrases of past time.
- The steamer sailed yesterday.
- I received his letter a week ago.
- She left school last year.
2. Sometimes this tense is used without an adverb of time. In such cases the time may be either implies or indicated by the context.
- I learnt Hindi in Nagpur.
- I didn't sleep well.
- Babar defeated Rana Sanga at Kanwaha.
3. The Simple Past is also used for past action.
- He studied many hours everyday.
- She always carried an umbrella.
|Tense Chart||Present Perfect Tense|
|Present Tense||Present Continuous Tense|
|Simple Present Tense||Present Perfect Continuous Tense|