UPSC Geography Syllabus 2023
UPSC Geography Syllabus 2023: The UPSC optional subject list contains 48 subjects in total, one of which is Geography. Mostly, the candidates who have opted for a Geography subject during their graduation or those having an interest in the geography subject go with Geography as their optional subject for Mains Exam. However, as per candidates who have cleared UPSC Exams previously, Geography is easy to understand and more scientific subject, that's why it is preferred by many aspirants from science, medical and engineering backgrounds. Aspirants should have an exhaustive knowledge of the UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus to score good marks in this subject which overall impacts the total marks for UPSC Mains Exam. This subject is also included in UPSC CSE Prelims General Studies 1 which is also an additional factor for choosing Geography as an optional subject.
UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus
The definite UPSC syllabus of Geography makes it easy for the candidates and encourages them to go for self-study Geography Optional Subject. It is important for the candidates to be familiar with UPSC Geography Syllabus to analyse the pattern, and important areas to concentrate on while preparing for UPSC CSE (Civil Service Examination). Geography is a scoring subject as unlike humanities subjects, there is not much scope for interpretation. Also, diagrams, flowcharts, map-based questions etc. are also scoring. The standard suggested reading list for Geography includes all the NCERTs from 6th to 12.
UPSC Geography Syllabus - Paper 1
Each paper of UPSC Geography Optional subject consists of 250 marks i.e. in total marks would be of 500 marks. Check complete UPSC Geography Syllabus for Paper 1 and Paper 2 from here and prepare as per the topics listed.
UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus Paper 1 (Part 1): Part 1 of UPSC Geography Syllabus Paper 1 is about Physical Geography under which students have to learn about Geomorphology, Climatology, Oceanography, Biogeography, and Environment Geography where-
- Geomorphology is a study of the origin and evolution of topography, landforms and landform change.
- Climatology is a study of temperature, atmosphere, jet streams, pressure, wind systems, air masses, fronts, cyclones, humidity, and the geographical phenomenon of the world.
- Oceanography studies the temperature, oceanic currents, salinity, marine pollution, sea level alterations, UN laws Etc.
- Biogeography is the study of biotic regions, deforestation, conservation of forests, alterations in critical geographical characteristics and soil profile.
UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus Paper 1 (Part 2): The Part 2 of UPSC Geography Syllabus Paper 1 deals with Human Geography where the candidates have to understand the perspective in Human Geography, Economic Geography, Population & Settlement Geography, Regional Planning, and Models, Theories and Laws in Human Geography. Each unit has sub-topics which are as follows.
UPSC Geography Syllabus - Paper 2
According to UPSC Geography Syllabus for Paper 2, the aspirants must have knowledge about the Geography of India and the questions in the UPSC Geography Optional Exam will be from the topics discussed in the UPSC Geography Syllabus.
Tips to Effectively Cover UPSC Geography Optional Syllabus
Ideally, the candidates require around 4 to 5 months to complete the optional subject solely. However, the candidates must be focused and devoted during this period. Follow the below-enlisted Tips to Effectively Cover UPSC Geography Syllabus without wasting any time.
1. Go through the complete UPSC Geography Syllabus
2. Refer NCERTs for a Basic Understanding.
3. Get Advanced Understanding with Advanced Books.
4. Practice Maps.
5. Connect Dots with Current Affairs.
6. Refer to the UPSC Previous Year Questions.
7. Make Notes and Revise Timely.