Formal Letter Format
A formal letter is a letter writing that is sent to the officials regarding expressing your thankfulness or complaining against a person or situation. So, the format of a formal letter needs to be short and crisp, and free of grammatical errors. Avoid making silly mistakes or spelling mistakes in a formal letter. Formal letters can be sent to schools, colleges, offices, and to government places. Writing a formal letter is an art and there are various websites offering services like writing a formal letter for money.
Types of Formal Letters
- Sick leave application
- Resignation Letter
- Job offer letter
- Complaint letter
- Business letter
- Appointment letter
- Leave application for Marriage/ maternity
Points to Remember while writing a Formal Letter
- Always keep it short and crisp. Mention only the important details regarding the subject matter. Do not write not-so-important things as it has to be to the point. So, neither your time is wasted nor the reader's.
- Use a formal tone only and not a friendly one. Remember that the person going to read it is not your friend.
- Use proper salutations as that is the first thing a person is going to read so it has to be good and not over-friendly
- Do not forget to mention the date in any formal letter either at the beginning or the end. Preferable at the beginning.
- Always mention your name or on the behalf of whom you are writing the letter. If it is on behalf of an organization do not forget to add a seal or stamp of that particular company.
- Always express your thankfulness at the end of the letter and do not just end it casually.
- Keep all the things like address, subject matter, date, or salutations on the same side preferably on the left side.
- Do leave a space on the left so that if the letter is stapled the content does not get erased or hidden on the extreme margins.
Format of a Formal Letter (Point wise)
- Sender’s Address
- Name of the Receiver
- Address of the Receiver
- Body Conclusion
- Name of the Sender with signature or seal
Format of a Formal Letter with Example
Below we have mentioned the format of a formal letter in English that anyone can follow for any type of formal letter.
Sender’s Address in 2-3 lines
<Location of the office>
Salutation: Dear sir/ ma,am,
<Subject matter in maximum 3 paragraphs if possible> 2-3 lines of self-introduction mentioning the reference number if any.
Always thank the concerned authority in the last few lines of the subject matter.
Yours Obediently/ Yours Thankfully
Examples of Types of Formal Letters
The examples make the understanding better. Some the example of types of formal letters are-
Example 1: Formal letter for Sick Leave Application due to Viral fever to Principal
Stella Maris Convent High School
Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Subject: Application for two days of Sick leave due to Viral fever.
With due respect, I would like to notify you that I have been suffering from viral fever since last night. As per the advice of the physician, I have been advised to take complete bed rest for at least two days.
So Sir/Madam, I request you to grant me leave for two days, that is, from(Date/Month/Year) to(Date/Month/Year). I will be highly obliged for your kindness.
Example2: Formal letter for Resignation from the position of General manager
From – George Anthony
1150, PG Sector
Los Angeles, California,90001
Date -16 August 2022
Dear Mr. Francis (Employer Name)
Los Angeles, California,90003
Please accept this letter as formal notification that I am resigning from my position as General Manager ( Your Designation should be mentioned) from XYZ Company (Company name should be mentioned). I will quit my job on 30 August 2022( The day is usually two weeks before you give notice).
I would also like to thank you so much for the opportunity you gave me for the work in this position in the past (the amount of time you’ve been in the role). I’ve greatly cherished and admired the opportunities I’ve had (a few of your favorite job responsibilities), and I’ve learned (a few specific things you’ve learned on the job), all of which I will take along with me throughout my career.
During my last two weeks, I would do everything possible to wrap up my duties and train other team members. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to aid you during the transition. Also, I would be happy to help you with the hiring and training of my replacement over the next two weeks if you think it would be beneficial.
I wish the company success and prosperity, and I hope to stay in touch in the future.
Example3: Formal letter for Job offer
Example 4: Formal letter Damaged Product Received
5/652, SNV Street
November 26, 2021
Customer Service Department
New Delhi – 110023
Subject: Complaint about a damaged product received
I purchased a black top from your online store. I received the product today, and I tried filing a return request as the size is smaller than the one I had ordered, and the cloth is torn on the left side. For some reason, the return request is not being filed. The page is either getting redirected or stuck. I have tried multiple times, and I could not go through with it. Can you please check and let me know if the return request has been filed for the order no. 3049. If not, kindly let me know what I should do to return the product.
I am attaching herewith photographs of the damaged portion of the top and the opening video for your reference.
Example 5: Formal letter for Appointment Letter
#123, Street 13
This is with reference to your application for the job profile"Web developer" and the subsequent discussions you had with us at the interview on 5th November 2022, on the following terms and conditions.
Designation: Web developer
Job Location: Delhi
You may be required to work at any place of the business or as per the later requirement.
Commencement of Employment: From 5th November 2022
Salary and Compensation: You will receive the CTC of Rs. 6 lakhs per annum as per mentioned in the attached sheet. Tax deductions and other statutory deductions will be done at the source. You will receive a variable amount based on your performance, strictly, After the completion of the Probationary period, you will be eligible for leave, as per the company rules.The leave policy has been attached to the letter for your reference.
Working Hours: The working days will start normally from Monday and end on Friday. The working hours for your profile will be 9 AM to 6 PM.
We congratulate you on your appointment and wish you a long career with us. We assure you have a great journey and get our full support for your professional growth and a development.
Replacement of Formal Letters by E-Mails
As technological advancements are taking place formal letters are disappearing and e-mails have become the new channel for sending formal letters. It is suggested to keep in mind that the same format of a formal letter for both e-mails as well as a formal letter can be used. As only the medium has changed but the purpose is the same so be careful while writing a formal letter. Only a few things are different an email and a formal letter. They are as follows:
- Do not mention the sender’s address in an e-mail as here the identity becomes the e-mail address through which the sender is sending the mail
- Instead of a company seal use the company’s logo that is registered in the name of the company.
- One can add links and URLs in an Email for the purpose of referencing in an email.
- Do not write the subject again in the mail body as there is a separate space for writing the subject.
- No, as such a need for signatures as our mail ID is enough.
Format of a Formal E-mail
Dear<name/ sir/ ma’am>,
<Expressing thankfulness or expressing needfulness, as the case may be>
We are looking forward to hearing back from you.
<Logo of the company if any>
Some of the Examples and suggestions for writing a Formal Email
1. Initial Greeting for beginning the Email body
Anyone can use these statements while initiating the E-mail body as per the subject and requirement.
- I am writing with regard to
- I am writing in connection with
- I am writing in reference to
- This is to bring your attention at
- This is to inform you
- I regret to inform you
2. Winding up statements
Given below are some of the statements that are necessary to use while writing a Formal E-mail as it makes the sender sound professional.
- Looking forward to hearing from you soon
- Thank you in advance (must be used rarely, as it might sound like you are forcing someone to perform an action that is considered unprofessional)
- Thanks for your attention
- For further information, please do not hesitate to contact me
- Please let me know if you have any questions.
These are some of those concluding words that need to be added while ending up with the E-mail before mentioning the name of the sender or on whose behalf the mail is being sent.
- Best Regards
- Kind Regards
- Yours Faithfully (When you don’t know the name of the concerned person)
- Yours Sincerely (when the salutation is personalized like dear sir/ma’am or surname)
- Warm Regards