Table of Contents
CBSE Class 12 Physical Education Syllabus 2023-24: The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has recently released a syllabus for all subjects for the current academic year, which serves as a guide to help students strategize their preparations. CBSE Class 12 Physical Education Syllabus 2023-24 has been designed by the board for class 12 students and released on the official website at www.cbseacademic.nic.in. The CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 for Physical Education released for the current academic year aims to aid students in scoring maximum marks in examinations as question papers are designed based on the curriculum released by the CBSE board.
CBSE Class 12 Physical Education Syllabus 2023-24
The CBSE Physical Education Syllabus for Class 12 complete PDF has been made available on the official website at www.cbseacademic.nic.in and students should go through the entire curriculum very carefully. The syllabus provides a brief outline of the topics covered that helps students in their exam preparations. CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 for Physical Education has been tabularized below which provides the marking scheme and time duration of each chapter. The syllabus structure also helps teachers to plan their schedule and teaching methodology for each chapter for the students.
CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 for Physical Education
The following table of CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 highlights the units covered with the weightage of topics corresponding to each and every unit. Physical Education is a subject that provides a greater chance of increasing the overall percentage of students. Therefore, students should get familiarized with the topics covered and weightage, marking scheme so that they can confront their board exams easily.
|CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 – Units in Physical Education|
|1||Management of Sporting Events||05 + 04b*|
|2||Children and Women in Sports||07|
|3||Yoga as Preventive Measure for Lifestyle Disease||06+01 b*|
|4||Physical Education & Sports for (CWSN)||04+04 b*|
|5||Sports & Nutrition||07|
|6||Test and Measurement in Sports||08|
|7||Physiology & Injuries in Sport||04+04 b*|
|8||Biomechanics and Sports||10|
|9||Psychology and Sports||07|
|10||Training in Sports||09|
|PRACTICAL||Including 3 Practical||30|
|TOTAL||Theory 10 + Practical 3||Theory 70 + Practical 30 = 100|
|Note: b*are the Concept based questions like Tactile diagram/data interpretation/case base study for Visually Impaired Child|
CBSE Class 12 Physical Education Syllabus 2023-24 -Unitwise Topics
Totally there are 10 units covered in the curriculum, which again comprises various topics under each unit as per CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 for Physical Education. The units are management of sporting events, yoga, physical education and sports for children with special needs, sports nutrition, test and measurement in sports, physiology and injuries in sports, biomechanics and sports, psychology and sports, and training in sports. Both practical and theoretical topics are given equal weightage for academic purposes and in designing question papers from an exam point of view.
|CBSE Class 12th Syllabus 2023-24 for Physical Education|
|Unit 1: Management of Sporting Events||1. Functions of Sports Events Management (Planning, Organising, Staffing, Directing & Controlling)
2. Various Committees & their Responsibilities (pre; during & post)
3. Fixtures and their Procedures – Knock-Out (Bye & Seeding) & League (Staircase, Cyclic, Tabular method) and Combination tournaments.
4. Intramural & Extramural tournaments – Meaning, Objectives & Its Significance
5. Community sports program (Sports Day, Health Run, Run for Fun, Run for Specific Cause & Run for Unity)
|Unit 2: Children & Women in Sports||1. Exercise guidelines of WHO for different age groups.
2. Common postural deformities-knock knees, flat foot, round shoulders, Lordosis, Kyphosis, Scoliosis, and bow legs and their respective corrective measures.
3. Women’s participation in Sports – Physical, Psychological, and social benefits.
4. Special consideration (menarche and menstrual dysfunction)
5. Female athlete triad (osteoporosis, amenorrhea, eating disorders.
|Unit 3: Yoga as Preventive Measure for Lifestyle Disease||1. Obesity: Procedure, Benefits & Contraindications for Tadasana, Katichakrasana, Pavanmuktasana, Matsayasana, Halasana, Pachimottansana, Ardha – Matsyendrasana, Dhanurasana, Ushtrasana, Suryabedhan pranayama.
2. Diabetes: Procedure, Benefits & Contraindications for Katichakrasana, Pavanmuktasana,Bhujang asana, Shalabhasana, Dhanurasana, Suptavajarasana, Paschimottanasan -a, Ardha -Mastendrasana, Mandukasana, Gomukasana, Yogmudra, Ushtrasana, Kapalabhati.
3. Asthma: Procedure, Benefits & Contraindications for Tadasana, Urdhwahastottansana, UttanMandukasan -a, Bhujangasana, Dhanurasana, Ushtrasana, Vakrasana, Kapalbhati, Gomukhasana Matsyaasana, Anuloma – Viloma.
. Hypertension: Procedure, Benefits & Contraindications for Tadasana, Katichakransan, Uttanpadasana, Ardha Halasana, Sarala Matyasana, Gomukhasana, UttanMandukasan-a, Vakrasana, Bhujangasana, Makarasana, Shavasana, Nadishodhanapranayam, Sitlipranayam.
5. Back Pain and Arthritis: Procedure, Benefits & Contraindications of Tadasan, Urdhawahastootansana, Ardh-Chakrasana, Ushtrasana, Vakrasana, Sarala Maysyendrsana, Bhujandgasana, Gomukhasana, Bhadrasana, Makarasana, NadiShodhana pranayama.
|Unit 4: Physical Education and Sports for CWSN (Children with Special Needs – Divyang)||1. Organisations promoting Disability Sports (Special Olympics; Paralympics; Deaflympics) 2. Concept of Classification and Divisioning in Sports.
3. Concept of Inclusion in sports, its need, and Implementation;
4. Advantages of Physical Activities for Children with special needs. 5. Strategies to make Physical Activities assessable for children with special needs.
|Unit 5: Sports & Nutrition||1. Concept of balanced diet and nutrition
2. Macro and Micro Nutrients: Food sources & functions
3. Nutritive & Non-Nutritive Components of Diet
4. Eating for Weight control – A Healthy Weight, The Pitfalls of Dieting, Food Intolerance, and Food Myths
5. Importance of Diet in Sports-Pre, During and Post competition Requirements
|Unit 6 Test & Measurement in Sports||1. Fitness Test – SAI Khelo India Fitness Test in school:
Age group 5-8 years/ class 1-3: BMI, Flamingo Balance Test, Plate Tapping Test
Age group 9-18yrs/ class 4-12: BMI, 50mt Speed test, 600mt Run/Walk, Sit & Reach flexibility test, Strength Test (Partial Abdominal Curl Up, PushUps for boys, Modified Push-Ups for girls).
2. Measurement of CardioVascular Fitness – Harvard Step Test – Duration of the Exercise in Seconds x100/5.5 X Pulse count of 1-1.5 Min after Exercise.
3. Computing Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR)
4. Rikli & Jones –
5. Johnsen – Methney Test of Motor Educability (Front Roll, Roll, Jumping Half-Turn, Jumping full turn
|Unit 7 Physiology & Injuries in Sport||1. Physiological factors determining components of physical fitness
2. Effect of exercise on the Muscular System
3. Effect of exercise on the Cardio-Respiratory System
4. Physiological changes due to aging
5. Sports injuries: Classification (Soft Tissue Injuries -Abrasion, Contusion, Laceration, Incision, Sprain & Strain; Bone & Joint Injuries – Dislocation, Fractures – Green Stick, Comminuted, Transverse Oblique & Impacted)
|Unit 8 Biomechanics and Sports||1. Newton’s Law of Motion & its Application in Sports
2. Types of Levers and their application in Sports.
3. Equilibrium – Dynamic & Static and Centre of Gravity and its application in sports
4. Friction & Sports
5. Projectile in Sports
|Unit 9 Psychology and Sports||1. Personality; its definition & types (Jung Classification & Big Five Theory)
2. Motivation, its type & techniques.
3. Exercise Adherence: Reasons, Benefits & Strategies for Enhancing it
4. Meaning, Concept & Types of Aggressions in Sports
5. Psychological Attributes in Sports – Self-Esteem, Mental Imagery, SelfTalk, Goal Setting
|Unit 10: Training in Sports||1. Concept of Talent Identification and Talent Development in Sports 2. Introduction to Sports Training Cycle – Micro, Meso, Macro Cycle.
3. Types & Methods to Develop – Strength, Endurance, and Speed.
4. Types & Methods to Develop – Flexibility and Coordinative Ability.
5. Circuit Training – Introduction & its importance
CBSE Class 12 Physical Education 2023-24 Internal Assessment Guidelines
The practical session or the internal assessment forms an integral part of the CBSE Class 12 Physical Education Syllabus 2023-24. The topics covered in practical sessions along with corresponding marks have been tabulated in the below table.
|CBSE Class 12 Physical Education Syllabus 2023-24 – Practical Sessions|
|Physical Fitness Test: SAI Khelo India Test, Brockport Physical Fitness Test (BPFT)||6 Marks|
|Proficiency in Games and Sports (Skill of any one IOA recognized Sport/Game of Choice)||7 Marks|
|Yogic Practices||7 Marks|
|Record File||5 Marks|
|Viva Voce (Health/ Games & Sports/ Yoga)||5 Marks|